Cosmic Consultants

Overseas PR & Education Consultants

Non Lucrative Visa - Spain

A Spanish non-Lucrative visa is a permit to enter Spain under the purpose of residence without working. It is categorized as a Spanish long-stay visa. Once you are in Spain with a non-Lucrative visa, you should apply for your residence permit for non-Lucrative purposes, which is renewable.

How to Apply Spain Non-Lucrative Residence Visa?

Applying for a Spain Non-Lucrative visa is quite similar to the application process for every other long-term Spain visa. The first thing that you need to do is to find out the following:

Who Can Apply for a Spanish Non-Lucrative Residence Visa?

A Non Lucrative Visa for Spain is available to all persons who have a clear criminal record and the required financial means to support themselves and their dependents, if any, without the need of getting a job in Spain.

Note that if you are a national of one of the countries that do not need a Spain visa for long-term stays, you do not need this visa to move to Spain.

Find out when and where to apply?

  • When is the right time to apply? Apply at least five weeks before your intended trip to Spain.
  • Where you should lodge your application. This could be the Spanish embassy, consulate, or a third party company that offers visa services on behalf of Spain in your country of residence.

Once you figure out these two, you can continue the process by undertaking concrete steps.

What are the advantages of Non Lucrative Residence Visa?

The advantages of the Non Lucrative Residence Visa permit can be summarized as follows:

  • It does not require an expenditure or investment in the Spanish economy, like the Golden Visa; or payment in advance for a course of study, like the student visa. The main expenses are related to the preparation of documents (payments for translations and for the services of professionals processing them).
  • The funds that will be transferred to a bank account in Spain will not be “frozen” as, for example, in the case of investment when applying for the Golden Visa, but will be freely available during the stay in Spain.
  • After the first year of residence there is the possibility of modifying the permit into a work permit if a professional project has arisen.
  • If the application documents are properly prepared, the percentage of approved applications is very high for this type of residence.
  • This permit allows travel to all countries in the Schengen area without a visa during its period of validity.

Our Study Abroad Package


Forget about tedious paperwork and requirements that are difficult to meet. You will just need to demonstrate that you have 26.000€ and a private health contract.


Even though this permit does not allow you to any economic activity in Spain, you can work remotely with or for clients in other countries.


The non-lucrative residency will also allow you to study and so internships in the Spanish territory.


Besides your permit as the main applicant, you will also be able to request the residency for your spouse and children.


With this permit, you will be allowed to move inside all the countries that are part of the Schengen space in ac completely free way.


Even though this visa does not allow you to work in the country, you can realize investments. You can invest in stocks or funds in order to get an extra source of income.

Submit the supporting documents for a Spanish Non-Lucrative Visa

Start collecting the required documents for a Spanish non-lucrative residence visa as soon as you make the appointment. Collect each document as required, in compliance with the criteria set by the Spanish authorities.

Full list of the supporting documents for Spanish Non-Lucrative Visa application:

  • Visa application form. Do not confuse the national visa form with the Schengen visa form since they are completely different. Make sure you answer all questions correctly. The information you give in the application form must comply with that in the other documents.
  • Valid Passport. It should be no older than 10 years, and valid for another year at least. It should have at least one blank page for the visa sticker.
  • Two Identical Photos. The photos must be taken according to the Schengen visa photo specifications.
  • Medical Certificate. Get this certificate from an authorized doctor in your country of residence. It should indicate that you do not have any disease that poses risks for public health. Remember that on the day you submit this certificate, it must be no older than 90 days.
  • Health Insurance. Obtain medical insurance from a private insurer in Spain.
  • Original Police Clearance Certificate. A document that confirms you have not committed any illegal activity in the last 5 years. This document should also be no older than three months on the day of submission
  • NIE number. This a personal unique number, given to every foreigner who intends to stay in Spain for longer than six months. Apply for this number at the consulate, before you apply for a visa.
  • Proof of sufficient income. The most important part of your application! If you fail here, your application will be rejected for sure. You need to prove you have a minimal amount of about 2,150€ per month, and an extra 535€ per month for every dependent you plan to bring with you. The following documents can serve as proof of financial means:
    • Bank statements for the last three months.
    • Letter of employment stating the salary, if you will be receiving a salary from an employer outside Spain.
    • Proof of investments.
    • Proof of other types of income, i.e. from rented property.
  • Marriage/Birth certificate is required for those applying as a dependent.

Basic Eligibility Criteria

If you meet the requirements, the first residence permit is for one year. The first and second renewals are for two years each, so Non-Lucrative Residence can last five years (at which point you are eligible for the Long Duration Residence). By definition, you cannot undertake paid work with this permit (and that includes remote work of any kind). But after one year, you can convert Non-Lucrative residency to Employment Residence or Self-Employment Residence.

You must have the equivalent of €30,000 ($33,286 at the current exchange rate) in a bank account or income from pensions or investments of €2,130 ($2,363) a month, plus €532 ($590) a month for your spouse and each dependent child. Income from rental properties or salaries is not accepted. You also have to provide proof of private health insurance in Spain, clean criminal record from the FBI (with fingerprints), and a letter from a doctor stating that you have no infectious diseases. Consulates can add other requirements. Some consulates require “proof of accommodation” in the form of a one-year lease or title to a property in Spain. Ainhoa says that proving that you have a place to stay should be sufficient.

Latest From our Blog


Click edit button to change this text. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

Click edit button to change this text. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

Toggle Content
Toggle Content

Which Country? Which Visa? Answer All Your Questions

+91 929 163 6666 / +91 40 27074010 /


Hear what they have to say about Us!

"Cosmic Overseas Consultancy has showed me a path for doing my masters in overseas. Successfully, I got my visa and I am about to reach my dream. "
Khaza Sriya
Manager, R & B Group
"Cosmic Overseas Consultancy is exclusively an optimal solution for your dreams of Studying Abroad to come true. I recommend it in the first place for their genuine service, providing wide variety of possibilities."
Rahul Bogoju
Manager, R & B Group
"Cosmic Overseas Consultancy has helped me with all procedures from getting admission, scholarship and visa. They had helped me a lot throughout the process."
Sai Tharun
Studing Victoria, Australia
Scroll to top